Every routine in this section works exactly like its corresponding 4th Dimension command:
|PA_CopyNamedSelection||COPY NAMED SELECTION|
|PA_CutNamedSelection||CUT NAMED SELECTION|
|PAUseNamedSelection||USE NAMED SELECTION|
|PA_ClearNamedSelection||CLEAR NAMED SELECTION|
Please refer to 4th Dimension documentation to learn more about named selection.
In addition to the information in the documentation:
- A named selection is an ordered list of records for a table in a process. This ordered list can be given a name and kept in memory. Named selections offer a simple means of preserving the order of the selection and the current record of the selection in memory .
- Named selections can be process or interprocess in scope.
- Named selections require 4 bytes for each record in the selection.
- Named selections exist in memory. Remember to free this memory once you have finished with a named selection. A selection created by PA_CopyNamedSelection must be cleared with PA_ClearSelection. A named selection created by PA_CutNamedSelection is cleared when calling PA_UseSelection.
- If a named selection is created during a transaction, it may contain addresses that will no longer be valid when the transaction is validated or cancelled. The records will receive their final, and actual, address after the transaction is validated.